September is Hunger Action Month: Learn More & How You Can Help!
September is a month extra close to our hearts here at Conscious Coconut because it’s Hunger Action Month! You have been helping us feed bellies right here in the States for the past 5 years, feeding over 500,000 children. We stand with Feeding America in their battle against hunger - read on to learn more about this special month and how to get involved!
Hunger in the United States
Each year, millions of people in America face hunger. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, even more families will struggle in the coming months. It's estimated that 54 million people are food insecure in 2020, including 18 million children. Many of these people that Feeding America serves work part-time or full-time jobs. However, low wages, underemployment, and necessary expenses like rent prevent families from meeting their basic needs. Federal nutrition programs feed millions every year, yet many who struggle with hunger are unlikely to qualify for these programs because they are employed or have incomes slightly above the poverty-line.
Experiencing hunger during childhood can have a life-long impact on their mental and physical health as well as educational achievement. Nearly 12 million kids are served by Feeding America everyday. This is 1 in 5 children right around the corner from you! We need to ensure our future leaders, innovators, and creatives are getting the proper nutrition for their bellies and brains to grow throughout the most vital years of their lives, protecting them from the mental and physical stunting that can result from malnutrition. All month long, Conscious Coconut will be donating TWO meals for every purchase!
How to Get Involved & "Go Orange" to fight Hunger
1. Wear Orange. Encourage your friends, family and co-workers to join you in wearing orange, especially on Hunger Action Day, September 10!
3. Advocate to help us protect hunger relief programs like Feeding America by joining the Campaign to End Hunger & signing the pledge!
4. Invite your Member of Congress to visit a child feeding program of your local food bank. Congressional visits shine a spotlight on the role food banks play in solving child hunger.
5. Volunteer at your local food bank and be part of the hunger-relief solution. Share a pic of your volunteer experience with @FeedingAmerica via social media and use the hashtag #HungerAction
6. Head to your local Feeding America facility and help pack Backpack Meals! More than 21 million children qualify for free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program and the National School Breakfast Program. For many of these children, school meals may be the only meals they eat. What happens when they go home over the weekend?
7. Shop Conscious Coconut & other conscious brands that give back to local food banks. Your purchase = TWO meals to fill bellies across the states!
Feeding America BackPack Program
The Feeding America BackPack Program helps kids get nutritious and easy-to-prepare foods they need to fill their bellies on the weekends. Today, bags of food are assembled at more than 160 local food banks and then distributed to more than 450,000 children at the end of the week! We LOVE backpack meals at Conscious Coconut and focus our giving towards them each month. Teachers “sneak” the meals inside their kids backpacks when they’re on recess so they aren’t embarrassed in front of their classmates.
Hunger Action Month is our opportunity to join a movement that has a real and lasting impact on our effort to fill tummies more than ever before. Whether it’s by advocating + raising awareness, making donations, or volunteering, you can find the way that’s right for you to make a difference during Hunger Action Month!